White Deer Acquires PRI Signatory Accreditation
White Deer is embarking on the fourth year of its Environmental, Social, and Governance program. This policy strives to enable sustainable, affordable, reliable, and secure energy by measuring and reporting the environmental, social, and governance risks and opportunities of all investments.
To further institutionalize our commitment to good governance and sustainable investing, White Deer has become a signatory to the Principles for Responsible Investment (PRI). Established by the United Nations in 2006, the PRI is a global initiative promoting sustainable investment practices.
This signatory status demonstrates a strong commitment to sustainability to responsible investment. Signatories must follow six principles that outline best practices for incorporating sustainability factors into their investments and ownership practices. These principles include:
- Incorporate sustainability issues into investment analysis and decision-making processes
- Actively incorporate sustainability issues into our ownership policies and practices
- Seek appropriate disclosure on sustainability issues by the entities in which we invest
- Promote acceptance and implementation of the principles within the investment industry
- Work together to enhance effectiveness in implementing the principles
- Report on our activities and progress toward implementing the principles
White Deer’s sustainability program has grown considerably since its inception in 2020. Just a few examples include:
- Environmental: White Deer portfolio companies Flogistix and Exero offset 10.1 million metric tons of carbon dioxide emissions and 4,250 metric tons of carbon dioxide emissions, respectively.
- Social: We supported charitable endeavors with 12 Houston-area organizations, including MD Anderson and Computdopt, and we provided mentorship programs for dozens of students.
- Governance: White Deer is an investor in four female-led portfolio companies. We began requiring sustainability ESG reporting from all majority-owned portfolio companies, launched a life cycle assessment program, and had two portfolio companies publish public sustainability ESG reports.
Overall, White Deer’s decision to become a PRI signatory is a significant milestone in our commitment to promoting sustainable investment practices, improving financial performance, meeting stakeholder demands, and enhancing the firm's reputation as a socially responsible investor.
You can learn more about the Principles for Responsible Investment at UNPRI.org.